This FREE 12-week, 36-hour course is designed for families with loved ones who have a brain illness.
In this course, you will learn about brain illnesses, medication, medication adherence,
stress reduction, empathy for your relative, setting boundaries, caring for yourself,
communication and problem-solving skills, therapeutic resources, and advocacy.
For family members of close relatives with:
• Bipolar Disorder
• Borderline Personality Disorder
• Dual Diagnosis
• Major Depression
• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• Panic Disorder
• Schizoaffective Disorder
NAMI Family-to-Family is a class for families, partners and friends of individuals with mental illness. The course is designed to facilitate a better understanding of mental illness, increase coping skills and empower participants to become advocates for their family members. This program was designated as an evidence-based program by SAMHSA. The course is also available in Spanish, De Familia a Familia de NAMI.
The program is taught by a team of specially trained volunteer family members who know what it’s like to have a loved one with a mental illness.
12 Week Program Class Schedule
1. Intro to family education
2. Intro to schizophrenia; diagnosis, critical periods
3. Intro to depression and bipolar illness, borderline personality disorder,
panic disorder and OCD
4. Basics about the brain
5. Problem solving skill workshop
6. Medications review
7. Empathy workshop; what it’s like to be mentally ill
8. Communication skills workshop
9. Relative groups and self care
11. Advocacy: fighting stigma and discrimination
12. Certification and celebration
We offer the program in the Spring and Fall. The Classes are FREE! You only need to commit to attend for 12 weeks and since class size is limited, you must pre-register.